Did You Know?
Approximately 1 in 10 people who use marijuana will become addicted. When they start before age 18, the rate of addiction rises to 1 in 6.
Get the FAQs
What is Marijuana?
Marijuana is a psychoactive drug that has been used by people for centuries. It consists of 500 chemicals, including THC which affects the mind and body in different ways depending on how it's consumed (e.g., smoking vs eating).
What are the risks?
Marijuana use can have negative and long-term effects: it lowers IQ, causes anxiety, depression, suicidal thinking or acts; making athletes perform worse. It slows reaction times to the point where driving under its influence is very dangerous--unpredictable lane weaving & slower reactions mean someone could get into a road accident.
What can you do as a parent or caregiver?
- Check in frequently to see how they are doing;
- Choose informal times to talk, such as in the car, during dinner, or while watching TV
- Set clear rules regarding marijuana and other drug use;
- Have open conversations and build their trust
- Continue talking with your teens as they get older
Drug & Alcohol Treatment
in and around Sunnyside, Washington
If you or someone you know is in need of treatment for drug and/or alcohol abuse, please contact one of the following organizations.